The Modelpalooza 2016 raffle is proudly sponsored by
Hobbytown USA, Sanford Florida
Hobbytown USA, Sanford Florida
Modeler General Information
Registration is now open for MODELPALOOZA a great weekend of modeling and
family fun in Orlando, Florida this September 16th to 18th, 2016
Last year we had over 400 visitors, 530 Models, and 43 Vendors making it one of the
most successful and fun shows in the Southeast.
Wyndham Orlando Resort room reservations must be made by August 16th by calling 1-407-351-2420. Room Rate $95
MODELPALOOZA will be held at The Wyndham Resort on International Drive, in the center of Orlando’s Tourist area. The Wyndham is offering us first-class accommodations at $95 a room single/double with free Parking. There is plenty at the Wyndham for the family, with three swimming pools and play areas. Please check out the Wyndham site and discover what a great place and value your stay will be.
The Wyndham has two convenient restaurants, an ice cream parlor, and fresh coffee on site. Lots of restaurants, coffee shops and places of refreshment, in all price ranges, right out the door of the Wyndham in the International Drive area. Check out the map below for their locations.
September is a busy time for conventions in Orlando so we recommend that you make your reservations as soon as possible with the Wyndham Resort, International Drive. To receive the special rate you must book by telephone at 1-407-351-2420 and let them know you are coming for MODELPALOOZA. If you book from a travel site please let the Wyndham know you are coming for MODELPALOOZA.
Universal Studios, SeaWorld and The Fun Spot are a mere 15 minutes away. Walt Disney World is 30 minutes to the park of your choice. In addition there are two large Outlet Malls minutes away.
Schedule of Events
Friday, Sept. 16th
9am - Beginning Figure Painting Workshop - instructor: Randy Riley (Executive Board Room) SOLD OUT
7pm - (Prepaid) Online Modeler Check-in Only, Vending Room Open, Raffle Tickets On Sale (Citrus Ball Room)
7:30pm - Regular Day-of-Show Modeler Registration Opens
9pm - All Registration Closes, Venue Closes
Saturday, Sept. 17th
9am - Venue Open, Raffle tickets on sale (Citrus Ball Room)
9am - Day-of-Show Modeler Registration Opens
12pm - All Modeler Registration Closes - all entries must be registered and on the tables by this time.
1:30pm - Seminar: "Creating Dioramas" - Tim Lilly (Fleming Room)
3pm - Seminar: "Modeling Aircraft" - Ken Belisle (Fleming Room)
4:30pm - Hobbytown Raffle Ticket Pull (Citrus Ball Room - must be present to win)
5pm - Venue Closes
8pm - Hospitality Room Open (Location: TBD)
We will offer guests free drinks (beer, cokes, water) and snacks. The room has a TV for football games.
You are welcome to bring your own beverage and enjoy it with us.
Sunday, Sept. 18th
9am - Venue Open (Citrus Ball Room)
10am - Seminar: TBD (Fleming Room)
12pm - Awards Ceremony ( Fleming Room)
1pm - Show ends promptly after Ceremony
We are continuing with the new "Adult - Basic Skill Level" division. This classification is for beginning adult modelers who are new to the hobby and want to participate at a lower standards level. The scoring is less rigorous in this division and the judging process is more relaxed. The "Adult - Advanced Skill Level" division will suit most experienced modelers best. Judging will be stricter and have a higher standard of quality expected.
Online Registration is now open. Click on the buttons below.
Registration and Modeler Fee Schedule
Adult (Basic and Advanced) Skill Division $20 for 10 entries (an additional $2 for each entry more than 10)
Junior Division $5 for 10 entries (an additional $2 for each entry more than 10)
Non-Modeler Fee Schedule (just pay at the door)
Walk-in (non-modeler) $5
Walk-in Kids under age 15 free
Show Registration will be opened for Modelers in July. If you have been to a previous Modelpalooza and we have your email address, we will email you when registration is opened. If you wish to be added to our email list to receive these notices contact us below:
For judging all entries, Modelpalooza 2016 will once again be using the “open system”. We feel that this system accurately rewards the quality of work presented by the Modeler. Modelers do not compete with each other for a 1st place award.
This means that several Contestants may now be recognized as having a Gold Medal winning Entry in the same Entry
Group. Entries will be judged according to the consensus of Judges using a standard of excellence. Conversely, this may also result in no models judged to achieve Gold medal standard with only Silver or Bronze Medals being awarded.
The open judging system has been used successfully by many other modeling organizations and shows (most notably all major miniature figure shows and AMPS). We have studied these other judging techniques and have incorporated the
best features of each into Modelpalooza’s technique. At the Show Team's discretion, the "Modelpalooza Master Modeler" award will be presented to chosen modelers (see Rule 17 below).
Modelpalooza structures all Entries into eight Groups:
1. Miscellaneous Other Subjects (not otherwise listed below)
2. Dioramas and Vignettes
3. Individual Figures
4. Science Fiction, Mecha and Real Space Vehicles
5. Nautical Craft
6. Military Armor/Vehicles/Soft-skins
7. Automotive Subjects Cars/Motorcycles/Trucks
All of the above groups will be awarded a special "Best of" Award.
Please Read these instructions completely.
All the Modelers Entries for each Group listed above will be placed together on the display table marked for that Group.
The Judges will survey all of a Modeler's Entries for that Group and determine if they are all of similar quality or one stands out as better then the others. If one Entry stands outs Judges will only score that best Entry. If they all are similar, the Judges will collectively score all the Entries in the Modeler's display.
The Judges will then score the Entry (or Entries) on its own merit, without comparison to other Modelers Entries. This means that either one entry will be scored for each Group or all of them will be scored collectively. Gold, Silver or Bronze medals will be awarded for this Entry based upon the averaged scores of the Judges. A "Highly Commendable" certificate may also be conferred for Entries not rating a medal. Modelers whose Entries are all similar and judged as a "Display" will be awarded a more prestigious "Display medal" recognizing all of the Entries for that Group.
Specialty awards will be conferred for the Judges’ selected best Entry in each of the Groups above as well as “Best Junior Entry”, “Best Out-of-the-Box Entry” and “Best Scratch-built Entry”. The “Best of Show Jack Keown Award” will be awarded to an Entry selected by the Judges.
Modelpalooza staff reserves the right to photograph any entries in the show and display these images on our web-site.
Judges have been selected from among the best modelers in the region. Judges will not be permitted to score their own Entries but will be permitted to place Entries into Groups which they will judge. Other Judges will score these Entries. For more information on judging scoring processes, refer to the Judges Information web-page.
Advanced Registration is now open.
Official Modelpalooza Show Rules
1. Entries may be made of any material, i.e. plastic, wood, metal, paper or any combination thereof.
2. Modelers must place all their Entries in a given Group together on the marked display tables with the Entry registration slips. Entries without legible registration slips will not be judged.
3. The Modeler will determine the Group of each Entry. The Head Judge reserves the right to move Entries to another Group if such move is clearly warranted. All such moves will be made following the notification of the Modeler.
4. All Entries must be registered and placed on display tables before 12pm Saturday, September 19th (no exceptions). This is due to the judging processes occurring during the day and not after the venues’ closing.
5. Presentation bases for Entries are optional in all Groups, except Dioramas and Vignettes. If a base is present in this Group, it will be considered in judging decisions according to the criteria scoring tables below.
6. No self-propelled or radio controlled Entries are allowed in the contest.
7. No Entries depicting nudity or other inappropriate topics for a “PG – rated” audience will be permitted. No exceptions.
8. Entries must not exceed 32” x 32” dimensions. NOTE: Pre-arrangement with show registrar is required for larger entries (larger than 32” x 32”). Such works are admitted only with registrar acceptance and space availability.
9. The Adult and Basic Divisions are open to all Modelers regardless of age.
10. The Junior Division is limited to Modelers who have not reached their 17th birthday as of the show date. Contestants under the age of 17 may elect to enter the Adult Basic or Advanced Division. Junior Contestants are also eligible to win specialty “Best of” awards.
11. Contest Judges are permitted to judge a Group in which they are entered. Judges will not score their own Entries.
12. All Judges’ scoring decisions are reviewed by the Head Judge with any necessary adjustment to align scoring values. Judging scoring decisions are final.
13. Only one medal/award will be conferred for the Modelers best Entry in a given Group. Specialty “Best of” awards will also be conferred to each Group based upon a consensus of top Judges.
14. Judges will take into consideration Entries which are properly registered as Out-of-the-Box (OOTB). OOTB Entries will be judged with the same criteria as all other Entries of a Group. OOTB Entries must be an unmodified commercially produced kit, WITH THE KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET, or a copy, provided next to the model. If no instruction sheet is present, the Entry will not be judged as OOTB. Seams may be filled if necessary, rigging, antennas and paper seatbelts may be added. Entry may be painted as desired and substitute decals may be used. The Entry is then eligible to win the “Best Out-of-the-Box Entry award”. (Basic IPMS OOTB rules)
15. Judges will take into consideration Entries which are properly registered as Scratch-built. Scratch-built Entries will be judged with the same criteria as all other Entries of a Group. Scratch-built Entries must be more than 50% Modeler supplied parts. Scratch-built models may incorporate parts from other kits, but these should be generally unrelated to their original identity, except for minor parts such as wheels, guns, etc. The Entry meeting these criteria is then eligible to win the “Best Scratch-built Entry award”. (Basic IPMS Scratch-built rules)
16. Judged entry scoring information will be posted on the web-site for Modeler review a few days after the show has been concluded. (Note that all entries are not necessarily scored by judges - only one entry in each Group.)
17. The "Modelpalooza Master Modeler" award will be conferred to modelers chosen by the Modelpalooza Show Team. The award will be presented only after a modeler has consistently demonstrated superior skill at previous Modelpaloozas. All previous Modelpalooza results are considered in this decision. The recipient must also demonstrate commitment to the hobby by contributing their skill back to Modelpalooza as a judge or other show-related endeavors.
Detailed Entry Scoring Criteria can be seen in the Judges Information area of the web-site.